As You Turn 10, Some Things Big Girls Should Know
1. Always be kind. Everyone has heaviness on their heart, a problem with which they struggle, a reason to feel different. Let experience guide you how to treat others. The Golden Rule is called that for a reason.
2. Take pride in your appearance. You are a darling, and I love to see your blossoming style. I have found that if you look good, you feel good. It’s a wonderful trick – one that works on others as well as yourself. Can you believe people actually think I have it all together?! I know, right?! Shh, that’ll be our little secret.
3. Don’t strive for perfection. It is unattainable and the pursuit of it will make you miserable. Do strive for your best. You don’t even know yet what that is, but I do. Surprise yourself…it’ll be worth it.
4. Beauty is more than skin deep. It’s what’s in your heart that matters. Don’t let society make you think you’re not beautiful. You are. And if you stay as sweet and kind and compassionate as you are today, you will always be a knockout.
5. Your brothers DO love you. I promise. But they are boys and boys are wired differently. They will not hug you. They will not tell you how pretty you look. They will tease you mercilessly. They will give you noogies and wave stinky socks in your face. This is the way they are and no woman really knows why. Just know they do. Trust me.
6. Make lists. Lists of what you need to do. Lists of what you want to do. List for what you want to achieve. Lists of what you dream of. Lists of what you dream to be. Lists of what you hate. Lists of your favorite things. Lists of the places you’ve been. Write it all down. It will keep you organized, provide focus and nothing feels better than checking things off your list. Both in the long term and in the short term.
7. Don’t be afraid to try. That is, unless it’s illegal, dangerous, hurtful to someone else, or all of the above.
8. Watch your tone of voice. It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it.
9. Use your good manners. Not just with other people, but at home too. Good manners can take you places, trust me. Moms looooovvvvvveee kids with good manners. They make a positive impression.
10. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. You’re shy, I know. It’s hard to make a new friend, but oh, it feels so good! You may get knocked down once or twice. That’s OK. Chances are, they’re not good for you anyway. Be a good friend, and you’ll be lucky to find a good friend.
I can't believe you're 10.
You are a gift. I treasure every day with you. And I couldn't love you more.